When a friend of mine married into a traditional Indian family, she received a strange mix of seeds and instructions to swallow a spoonful every morning. The mother-in-law, still living in India, had personally prepared the mix. Knowing that the Indian Ayurvedic system of medicine (also known as Ayurveda) is one of the most highly advanced and oldest in the world, I will admit that I was curious about these odd looking little seeds.
I convinced my friend to let me try some and my experience has been very positive. I used to feel slightly nauseous from drinking my morning coffee on an empty stomach. Now I swallow the seed mix at the same time and I don't have any of the former discomfort.
When I eventually ran out of my allotment of the seed mix, I pressed my friend to ask her mother-in-law for the recipe so I could make my own. Now we have obtained that recipe and I am publishing it here so you will have the option of using it as well.
5 Minutes. Preparation is extremely minimal and easy. I did have to go to an Indian grocery store to find the ingredients, but you can order them online (see below).
Many. Perhaps forty to seventy.
- 3 cups Methi seeds (also known as Fenugreek seeds)
- 2 cups Ajwain seeds (also known as Al Ajwa seeds)
- 1 cups Kalijiri seeds (also known as Kala Jeera or Black Cumin seeds)
- A medium (or large) bowl. I use this pyrex glass bowl since it also includes a nice lid for storage.
- A spoon
1) Pour 3 cups of Methi seeds into a bowl.
2) Pour 2 cups of Ajwain seeds into the bowl.
3) Pour 1 cup of Kalijiri seeds into the bowl.
4) The seeds are now layered in the bowl. Use a spoon to stir them all together.
5) Your seed mix is complete! Swallow one large spoonful with water first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. Do not chew the seeds. Simply swallow them like you are swallowing vitamin or supplement capsules.
If you try this recipe at home, we'd love to hear about your experiences here. Please also consider sharing this article on your social media if it interests you. Thanks and we hope you have a wonderful day!